We held our first VK Apps services competition. 55 contestants created services on the VK Apps platform, each competing to claim a part of the 2 million ruble prize pool. In the end, a total of 10 contestants each received their share of the prize. Letís go through the competition step-by-step and take a look at how it went.
Before we get to the contest, we just want to say that creating a service on the VK Apps platform can be done by any developer. Itís free, and all of the documentation needed to create a service is publicly accessible. Services on VK are fast, launch right on the VK app and donít need users to install them as a separate app. Projects that meet the VK Teamís high standards are featured in a special catalog, giving them greater visibility. Over the span of six months, about 30 services passed our strict review process, with a total of more than 1500 services uploaded to the platform.
But letís get back to the contest. Applications were accepted from 25 October to 31 January. Both new services and ones already present on the platform could take part in the contest. It didnít matter whether it was a company or an individual developer making the service, the main thing was that the service had to be high-quality and follow VKís rules. In total, about 55 services took part in the competition.
Over the course of a week, the VK Team tested and evaluated the projects. We focused our attention on the demand, potential and originality of the services, in addition to how well various scenarios were thought out. We looked at how integrated the services were with the VK API, and whether services worked stably, without any errors. And last, but not least, we looked at the quality of the servicesí design. VK users and Inc.Russia readers were able to cast a one-time vote for any number of contestants to help the jury select the winners.
The Winning Services
The winners in each category received a 300 thousand ruble prize. Contestants coming in second place each received a 100 thousand ruble credit to their VK advertising accounts, which could be used to make their services known to hundreds of thousands of people.
ďE-commerceĒó Best service for buying and selling online.
- TourGlobal: last-minute tour search. This service allows users to make orders, receive consultation, pay for tours and obtain necessary travel documents. The tour database updates every 5 minutes.
- DLVRY: ordering food delivery. Users can quickly order their favorite take-out using this service. Cafe and restaurant owners can enable new-order notifications and integrate the service into their accounting programs.
ďLocation-Based ServicesĒó Best service based on geolocation features.
- Photos on the Map: an interactive map with photos. Based on a userís current location, the service shows photos that their friends and other people took nearby and helps users find new and interesting places.
- Current Events: event search. The service lets users choose from a list of the most popular VK events and provides smart recommendations for events they might be interested in.
ďInformativeĒó Best informative or entertainment service.
- Connections: meeting new people. Users rate each other based on photos, name and age, and if interest is mutual, they can start chatting with each other.
- Doc Online: doctor appointments. Using this service, users can find doctors, read reviews and make appointments.
ďBest Technical SolutionĒó Most interesting use of VK technology in creating the service.
- Chat Manager: group chat management tool. This service helps make sure that chat rules are being followed and provides statistics. Over 125 thousand chats already use ďChat ManagerĒ.
- Radio Record: music radio stations. This service provides over 70 different radio stations from Radio Record, which are sure to meet any taste.
ďUsersí ChoiceĒó VK usersí and Inc.Russia readersí choices for best services.
- SMM Analysis: VK community improvement recommendations and analysis. The service analyses VK public pages using 15 indicators and gives practical advice about how to attract new followers.
- Playground: map of outdoor sports courts. This service can help users locate football, basketball and volleyball courts and tell them how to get there. It also provides a list of upcoming games that they can join.
Congratulations to our winners!
This contest was the beginning of a new tradition. We are going to hold this contest annually, and we are sure that it will inspire developers to create many more useful services. The features of the VK Apps platform and growing competition are sure to make services even higher-quality and easier to use. Follow the updates in the catalog and share your ideas about which services we should include in it!